Notes from a Drama Queen

Channeling my Inner Barbie

Saturday, July 19, 2008


It's conference time, and I've been busy channeling my inner Barbie. I'm not a girly girl kind of person, and I'm not a jock. I guess, in fact, I'm a drama queen, who likes dress up and fantasy except for most of my life when it's jeans and tee shirts. But when it comes time for the RWA National Conference it's glitz and glamour (if I'm in the mood).
So I've been shopping on eBay for strange and wondrous things, sewing, making odd jewelry, buying makeup (and I only use my makeup five or six times a year so it's such a waste. Tant pis.)
Anyway, I'm getting my hair done so I thought I'd find a site where I can try out various styles. I hit the mother lode -- eyeliner and lipstick and hair dye, oh my!

And of course I had to send it to Crusie and Rich for them to try. Most of these are relatively straight attempts at beauty. However, I may be in the mood for gothic funk, so check this one out:

God only knows what I'm going to end up looking like at the conference, but if you're in the San Francisco area come on by the Marriott Hotel on 4th Street on Wednesday, July 30 for the biggest romance autographing party (all for the benefit of literacy). I promised Crusie I wouldn't wear a dead swan on my head, but apart from that, all bets are off.

The lovely site for makeovers is http://makeover.ivillage.com/makeover/index.jsp

Go and have fun and send me the results. I'll post the best ones.

11 Comments:

Blogger Robena Grant said...

The first one is great. That would suit you. I'll come by and check you out at the Literacy signing. No blue. Absolutely no blue. Oh, and I'll be the one giving loud catcalls when they announce your name for the Rita. *g*

4:05 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Yeah, Crusie posted it and I was up half the night playing with it myself. And yeah, the red hat is fab--knew it would work for me! Wish they had some blemish coverup--45 years old and I got a zit on my chin... (sigh) It is just sad.

So how do we send you the results? You gotta see me with blue hair--yeah, I'm the bomb baby! LOL!

5:22 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I'm not allowed to sign my books at the Literacy Signing, which is a crushing disappointment, so I'm not planning to attend. (I'm making a personal donation to Literacy here at home.) However, if someone comes out and says that you're in there with blue hair, signing books, I'll definitely go in because that would make me smile!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Melissa Blue said...

The dead swan is not a good look for anybody. Even in jest. Oh, and I'll walk by your table again this year. I'll try not to be weird this time. (To jog your memory "I loved the Unfortuante Miss Fortunes" and walks away.)

Can't wait to see what you decide on.

And is it just me that's curious as to why Mary Stella isn't allowed to sign books?

7:57 PM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

Doode! Violet hair and purple haze all the way!!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

Krissie, you channeled your inner Barbie with great results. I must have channeled my inner Mrs. Potato Head. I looked awful. I'm not good with 'net programs. Perhaps I'll try again later.

Melissa, since you wondered -- Months after I registered for the conference and the Literacy signing, I received an email from RWA informing me that only books with copyrights of 2007 and 2008 qualified. Since I didn't have a book out in either of those years, I was, in effect, uninvited from participating. It would have been my first Lit Signing, so this is a major bummer.

I still want to contribute to Literacy, so I'm going to do it my own way by giving away several copies of my books free via my blog. I'll make donations to my local Literacy chapter in the names of all who win the copies and will ask the winners to do the same.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Melissa Blue said...

Mary, that's fab. Being banned (not allowed, same difference to a writer) just sounded so daring. That just sucks, but you are making lemonade out of lemons. Go you.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Becke Davis said...

Oh my gosh, this site is addictive! Not only did I come up with some crazy makeovers for myself, I did some for my husband, too.

If only they had a nip/tuck feature so I could get rid of a chin or three!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Yay! Go you! The inner Barbie worked - many congrats on the RITA
Fran in Australia, looking forward to your next visit.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Bonnie Vanak said...

Big congratulations on winning the RITA! You deserve it. Your books rock!

7:58 PM  
Blogger Pat Evans said...

You looked fabulous running up the steps to pick up your Rita! Congratulatuons.

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment