Notes from a Drama Queen

I love Alan Rickman

Tuesday, June 24, 2008


So I love Alan Rickman. This should come as no surprise -- any writer with taste would adore him. The snark, the wit, the elegance just make him absolutely delicious. I've used him as a hero in countless books and novellas (the impossibly hard to find novella in Avon's TO LOVE AND CHERISH would be the most obvious). I always use Richard Thompson as my sound track to any book that features Alan Rickman, and the combination of the two can inspire me for years.

I thought I knew everything about him, but Jenny Crusie and I were talking about upcoming movies, and she told me they were doing a remake of Robin Hood with Robin as the villain and the sheriff as the hero, with Russell Crowe (be still my heart) playing the sheriff. Which sounds yummy, but there's no way he can ever best Rickman's brilliance as the totally mad sheriff.
Jenny had sent me the link to this video back when I was depressed, but I was too depressed to watch it. Silly moi. If I'd only gone to Youtube my depression would have vanished in a welter of lust. I'm putting it here because it will make your day, your week, your month. I think it's really time for me to write another Rickman hero. Sigh.

Song of the week -- Obviously, it's "In Demand" by Texas (a Scottish group), with "High and Dry" by Radiohead coming in second. And if you have to clean house (heaven forbid) turn on "Mercy" by Duffy. It'll get you rocking.

Trivia question of the week: which movie did NOT have Clive Owen in it?

A. The Bourne Identity
B. The Pink Panther (Steve Martin version)
C. Gosford Park
D. Blow Dry

Have a fabulous week, my dears. I'm off to the Vermont Quilt festival to have fun and recharge my creative juices. It's time when I should be writing (and I will be writing every day) but I figure it's a mental health necessity. Every now and then I need to refill the well.

What do you guys do to recharge your batteries? Walks? Movies? Orgies?




6 Comments:

Blogger mic said...

The most fun I've had recharging is to jump on my dirt bike and ride! Having a 10 year old boy to ride with is even more fun. Need new motorcycle though, 7 year old girl took his, he took mine!
Love your books, have a lot of fun finding them in odd places, found the one about Jack the Ripper at Canton, TX, the mother of all flea markets.
Can't wait to read the next Ice book!

5:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"the impossibly hard to find novella in Avon's TO LOVE AND CHERISH would be the most obvious"

I found it! One of my favorites. I re-read it all the time.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I wouldn't mind an orgy, but it's difficult enough finding one man in the Keys who is on the right side of the tattoo-to-tooth ratio. Gather enough for an orgy? I doubt it.

I recharge by hanging out with friends or simply spending a quiet day playing with my dogs, reading a great new book (or rereading a favorite), and doing "me" things. It's pure bliss to sit on my back porch and look at the water.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Sheila Reyes said...

hmm trying to figure it out. I tried taking up knitting on a knitting board but Im not getting it. I think I need "learn to knit on knitting board for Morons" hehheh
Before kids I use to sleep ,eat at new restaurants, read books, take trips.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you like Alan Rickman, you should check out his new movie Bottle Shock. It showed at Sundance and looks really funny. Check out the trailer. www.bottleshockthemovie.com

4:19 AM  
Blogger the Constantly Dramatic One said...

Blow Dry....does not have Clive Owen in it.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment