Notes from a Drama Queen

Happy New Year!

Monday, December 31, 2007


I know, I promised 25 days of Christmas and once more I went MIA. First there was the fried Mac computer (better known as Apple Crisp). Then there was the decision to crash a book (which means writing it as fast as you possibly can). And then there was life.
But I'm back, and one of my many New Year's Resolutions is to post at least once a week here.

First off, no resolutions about my career. Careers are out of our control. We can't resolve to make the New York Times list, sell like hotcakes, get a million dollar contract. All that is up to fate, and all the resolution in the world won't make it happen. But I can choose not to let it break my heart and make me crazy.
So I guess my first resolution really is about my career.
1. I resolve to weather the storms of publishing calmly, and not let it break me.

Then there's the weight issue. I'm adorably chubby ... actually I think I've gone over the line on that one and it's no longer so adorable. I think it's beginning to have an impact on my health. But just choosing to lose weight is a yoyo game, and I've played it too often. Therefore:
2. I choose to get healthy. To make choices, small or large, that will help me feel better and stronger. Maybe I'll start with one small choice a day, and then expand it. But even one small step, one small choice, is a beginning.

And then there's life. I feel responsible for everyone's well-being, I feel anxious and upset if one of my kids is having issues, and they're 20 and 23 by now. I need to not ride the rollercoaster of emotion that is youth. I can't fix everything for them, and if I can't be happy if they're not happy then I'm deliberately choosing unhappiness. I'll do anything I can for them. But then I've got to let go. Therefore:
3. I resolve to let go and let God.

Writing, which has absolutely nothing to do with career. I love writing, love stories. I despise the business, which has tried to break me so many times over the years. Fuck the business. I need to remember to keep them separate. And I never feel good unless I write. Therefore:
4. I will write at least five days a week, at least 200 words a day. When I commit to that I always write a great deal more, and it keeps me in the story, whether I end up doing a page and a half or a 16 page chapter.

And the chaos I live in. It's overwhelming, and even Flylady seems too much to handle sometimes. But it's making me crazy, and there's no island of serenity in the place.
5. I will make one small step a day on decluttering the house.

Sewing and quilting. I have too many UFOs (unfinished objects) and sewing keeps me centered and my blood pressure down.
6. I will do half an hour in my workshop every day, whether it's organizing or actual sewing, because it will make me feel better.

And most important of all:

7. I will take joy in life. In my wonderful husband and children, in my three cats and a dog, in my wonderful writing friends like Jenny Crusie and Lani Diane Rich and the joy of collaboration, I will celebrate gorgeous men and movies and snow that covers the mountains with a blanket of white. I'll celebrate working toward the things I want in life, health and serenity.

And I wish you all a fabulous new year!

So tell me what your resolutions are? Have you got any plans to make 2008 a good year? Besides the obviously political solution .

14 Comments:

Blogger Jace said...

Hi Anne,

Just wanted to say that I love your books. I've read five and am going crazy trying to find the older titles.

No matter how unpredictable the storms of publishing are, know that you have many fans (and I'm one of them) rooting for you.

As for resolutions, I'm not mad about them either. I have only one for 2008 ... to live well and be happy.

I wish you a GREAT year ahead. Be happy, be healthy, be safe.

Warmest regards,
Jace

2:49 PM  
Blogger writerheart said...

Your resolutions are inspiring, particularly the first one about publishing vs writing. I'm working on my resolutions now and think remembering that writing makes me happy and the career is something different will help me.

Met you two years ago when you came to Deltona, Florida, to speak at an RWA chapter. You were so warm and generous with us about your writing and publishing. Always wanted to write and say thank you--and to thank you again for many years of reading pleasure. I snatch up your books the moment I see them out and can't bear to let go of them.

Best wishes for the coming year.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These sound like excellent resolutions. I love you point about how we sometimes have to make ourselves do things that make us feel better, such as quilting or spending time writing love stories. Sometimes it's so easy to get wrapped up in the have-tos and the shoulds and forget what we really need.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Keziah Hill said...

Good luck on the political solution. We had our in Australia and even though they are all politicians and can't be trusted, it does make a difference. When are you coming back?
:-)

4:21 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I hate making New Year's resolutions, so I don't. I do my best to make each day worthwhile. That said, there are some improvements that I can make in my life. I love the way that you phrased all of yours and the choices all seem beautiful and positive. Good for you! I had a lousy writing year so one promise I've made to myself is to write a new book this year that I totally love. I'll worry about selling it after the fact.

1:56 PM  
Blogger flip said...

I love your books. Please keep writing. As long as your books are being published, I will keep buying them and reading them over and over. I have 57 of your books on my bookshelf in my bedroom.

Love your resolutions. I am still thinking about mine.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Libby said...

Hi Anne,

Approximately 9 years ago my doctor told me my cholesterol level was elevated. I joined WeightWatchers, and lost 30 pounds in 6 months. I have been a life time member for 8 years. WeightWatchers gave me the support, plan, and skills to keep the weight off. It is the best thing I ever did for myself. Maybe, you will want to consider it. WeightWatchers has a 70% success rate.

I love reading your books because they are so well written and the storylines are very interesting.
Why have you not been on Oprah??

Warmest wishes,

Libby

8:15 PM  
Blogger Geets said...

Happy New Year, Anne!

I, also, hate making resolutions because I never seem to do them. Well, this year, I've made two and will stick to them!

One is to stop swearing. I discovered I was doing it in everyday speech. Not good, that.

Two: to lost 15 lbs, and get thyself to the gym at least 3 times a week.

And please, pleasepleaseplease keep writing! I so love your books--I can read them over and over and over again. After finishing Ice Storm, I did my fourth re-read of Black Ice, 3rd re-read of Cold as Ice; 2nd re-read of Ice Blue.

When will we get Clause and Effect?

2:50 PM  
Blogger markjenseymour said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello Anne-
Happy New Year!

I've only recently discovered your work and I'm totally devoted (especially to your historical novels).

It was a bit eerie to read your resolutions and what motivated you to make them. We might be twins separated at birth!
Among them, the clutter issue stood out. I, too, am trying very hard to pare down. I've got collections in my collections! I give away things to the thrift store only to go in and buy other interesting things. Fortunately I do that before they put out what I've brought in (or else I might re-buy them).

Yes, I can easily share your goals (and will if I have any sense).

I look forward to reading your blog and, of course, any old and new books.

All the best, Barbara

3:50 PM  
Blogger Amy Andrews said...

Hope 2008 brings you all that you wish for.

No resolutions from me. I suck at them. Not at making them - keeping them.

Chubby chicks of the world unite!!!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Daunt said...

Hey Anne! I'm glad you've had a nice holiday!

I too am having problems with my weight and really it does take one tiny step at a time to get your health in order. So far I've cut out sweets until I reach my target weight and NO SODA EVER. Once I get used to this new thing I'll move on to the next step: Fitness Rollerblading!

I wanted to drop you a note about a cute series I'm watching called 'Hana Kimi' It was originally a manga BUT they made it into a Japanese drama. The boys in it are soooooooo adorable & hot I thought you would appreciate it.

The story goes: A girl named Ashiya Mizuki decides to follow a young sports hero to his high school in Japan because she found his skill in the high jump so inspiring. BUT he goes to an all boys school....THUS she cuts her hair and pretends to be a boy to attend school with him. There is much confusion and antics while she tries not be be discovered and slowly falls in love with her idol.

Here are the first few episodes on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Ayumi1023

And the ones after episode 2:
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=meprincessmia&p=r

I think you'll enjoy it, at least for the pretty guys! ;)

12:29 PM  
Blogger JanJan said...

Hi Anne
I so empathise with you. I can see myself in so many of your resolutions, especially the family and the home.
I have an objective for the Year: By the end of the year I will have made significant inroads inot sorting out my life and moving forward.
To that end I am looking at assertiveness, especially learning to say no, and positive thinking.
Diet wise have you thought about using Paul McKennas I can Make YOu Thin. Its a combination of a Hypnotic CD and a book with lots of strategies to use. He will also be doing a TV series in the US in 2008.
I have enjoyed your books for years,You have given me great pleasure and a place to escape to when life didn't feel too good.
You've made a difference to peoples lives and in the end I think taht its what your readers say that count not those people who set themselves up as experts.
Good luck with 2008. Janet

10:42 AM  
Blogger Trish Morey said...

No resolutions, I resolved not to make any (and ultimately fail) a few years back, but just wanted to pop in and say that I've just read Ice Storm and reckon it was the best thing I've read since goodness knows when. Fabulous, fabulous story and I loved it to bits.

Please resolve to write lots more:-))

And come back downunder soon!

Here's wishing you and yours a fabulous 2008 and beyond,

Trish

9:11 PM  

Post a Comment