Notes from a Drama Queen

Good Times

Monday, May 12, 2008


So life has suddenly become splendid. I became fat, fair and sixty at Disney World (one of my favorite places in the world) along with my kids and my husband. We stayed at the Port Orleans Riverside, which was gorgeous, I scooted around on a little scooter (the knee's still bad from the surgery) and struck terror in the heart of bus drivers with my parking skills, I rode lovely rides (favorites being Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan), avoided terrifying rides (anything with Mountain in the name) and decided after my third time on Soarin' that I'm just too chicken. I practically broke my husband's hand I was clutching it so tightly.
We ate glorious food, sometimes with appalling service (the Chefs du France) and sometimes wonderful (everyplace else) and of course for my actual 60 year dinner we went to the Japanese restaurant (would you expect anything else from me?).
Those are my darling children -- Kate is dressed for the Pirates and Princess Party we went to later that night (the boys stayed at Epcot and went on thrill rides). We came home the next day, but it was one of those perfect moments in time -- being with grown children who are no longer full of teenage angst.

And then, glory be, I got a call from my editor on Wednesday. FIRE AND ICE (with my darling Reno) is just out, with a smallish print run (though thankfully bigger than the tragic print run for ICE STORM). To my complete joy and astonishment it's number 21 on the NYT list! Just when you think nothing but disaster lies ahead, the universe rewards you with a treat.

On top of that, spring has finally arrived, I have the best friends in the world, my knee's getting better, all my cats survived our week long vacation (with my mother housesitting but she's not a cat person). This really is a splendid time for me right now.

And just to make things even better, my friends Mort and Swiggs (Maggie Shayne and Susan Wiggs) are on the lists as well, our editor loves the newest incarntion of DOGS AND GODDESSES, my mother, who was teetering at death's door last year, is up and thriving (at almost 94). Life is incredibly good right now.

I think good times need to be fully noted and celebrated. Too often life is full of sorrow and shame and worry. Let's keep the good times going. Tell me some of your good news. We all need to share the good stuff.

12 Comments:

Blogger Megan Frampton said...

Yay on your news! I just got Fire and Ice, but haven't gotten to Ice Storm yet (boo).

My good news is I just got a new agent!

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful, Krissie!!

Lynda

1:47 PM  
Blogger FiveAcres said...

Wonderful: I loved Fire and Ice.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Travel Diary said...

Fire and Ice was a really good read! I finished half in one day and the other half the next day as soon as I woke up. Especially liked the part where Reno and Jilly are in the capsule hotels. I thought Reno would be more fun loving kind of guy though, less dark and brooding than the other agents (since he does play video games for goodness sake). Kinda disappointed that he turned out almost exactly like the other Ice men, but loved the book nonetheless! I don't understand your comment about Ice Storm and the small print bit? Ice Storm is still my favorite and probably the best and most well written romance I've ever read. Thanks for putting books out there! Your writing is worth waiting for! Please keep it up.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Yvonne Lindsay said...

Congratulations on turning sixty! And on having such a ball celebrating. And on Fire and Ice and the NYT list. Wow, you sure like to stack up the good news, hmmm?

9:09 PM  
Blogger Lorie McCown said...

I'm so glad you have good news, and happy birthday! Fire and Ice is up next on my read list, and I really enjoyed your books, Anne. As a fellow quilter, are you still doing some quilting? All the best!

8:34 AM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

Woo happiest birthday sweetie! Glad to hear you're up and about and striking terror in the hearts of the masses ;-) Keep on rocking like the rocking thing you are.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Christine Wells said...

Great to hear you're well and thriving, Krissie and congrats on the NYT list!!!!

Can't wait to read Reno's story!

8:37 AM  
Blogger Taki Aizawa said...

I didn't get farther than the dedication page for Fire and Ice. Good thing you mentioned FF7: Advent Children on your dedication page. You should've given Kazushige Nojima (the scenario writer for the Final Fantasy games as well as Advent Children) some credit too: you pretty much ripped off Reno the Turk for your main character, right down to the red hair? If I read more of the book, will Reno the azn Yakuza hottie have a tall, bald, taciturn partner wearing sunglasses?

Not pleased, Taki Aizawa.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Queen Bee said...

I just finished (well tried to finish) Fire and Ice. I really do love Reno, but Jilly just got on my nerves. I suppose it's because I'm part Japanese and raised with strong Japanese beliefs that I found her presence really annoying. Mostly the reaction Takashi had towards Reno in regards to Jilly. After Takashi got married to Summer, he put her and her family before his family. That just doesn't happen in Japanese culture. It is Japanese style to take the side of your blood family than your wife and seeing that Takashi was so 'traditional and honorable' to Japanese culture, he would never have beaten or threaten to kill Reno because of his involvement with Jilly on the basis that she's his wife's little sister.

I really did try to finish the book because of my love for your other writings and the fact that I adore Reno, but it was just too difficult because Jilly was just so irritating. When I neared the end I was actually cheering on Koboyashi (I think that is his name. I don't have my book with me as reference) to kill Jilly and was sad when it was obvious he wouldn't succeed.

Still love your other writings and congratulations on turning 60.

Aloha,
Leira

4:20 AM  
Blogger jar8537 said...

I attempted to read Fire and Ice, but found the random use of unnecessary obsenities distracting. I couldn't get past fu'king pg 60.
lorie m....save your money

1:46 AM  
Blogger Frances Lebensorger said...

I didn't think I could love someone as much as I loved Taka and Su-chan but Reno and Jilly are sure a close second. Love your books ALL OF THEM!Isobel was a disappoint ment though. Guess I figured she would stay Head of the Committee forever. Keep writing,we're out here waiting.

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment