Notes from a Drama Queen

Conundrum

Monday, May 26, 2008



So here I am, spinning my wheels. I've been circling the new book, SILVER FALLS, like a suspicious Rottweiler sniffing at the butt of a Doberman. I've written chapters, tossed them, notebooks full of notes, I understand my characters, and I find the story fascinating. It was inspired by the fact that Ted Bundy lived with a woman and her daughter during part of his killing spree and never touched them. And I wondered what that would be like for a woman, living with a monster and not knowing.
And then of course as I made notes and thought about it I considered that maybe the man she was living with wasn't the killer after all (and no, he won't be the hero). And the daughter is spunky, the heroine cool (tall, redheaded, sturdy, a photographer), the hero is troubled (brother to the man suspected of murder), the setting dark and gothic-y (Pacific Northwest town called SILVER FALLS where it rains all the time).
But it's fighting me.
In the meantime, I have an ICE book that's been begging for attention. I had been all set to write that directly after FIRE AND ICE, and then we thought maybe I should write something different, something new.
But FIRE AND ICE has done extremely well, and I need to tell Finn MacGowan's story (I left him a prisoner in the jungles of Colombia with everyone thinking he might be dead). His father died of self-starvation in prison in Ireland, and Finn is charming and sexy and filled with a deep anger he never shows. And don't even get me started on Mahmoud, who's going to grow up and have to deal with his childhood as a soldier.
On top of all this, I have a deadline.
So I've got to hunker down, ignore everything else in my life (happily) and figure out what to write. Can I work on two at the same time? SILVER FALLS in the morning and ICE in the afternoon? SF for one week, ICE on alternating weeks? Try to write a very rough draft of one, put it aside and write a very rough draft of the other, then decide?
Aaargh.
I suppose I have to be responsible and a grown-up. But you know, to be a writer you have to be in touch with that stubborn, rebellious dreamer who stared out the classroom window rather than listen to the teacher droning on. You do what you have to do, not what you should do. Except what the hell do you do when you want to do both?

Have you guys ever been stuck with trying to choose between two things you love? If I write SILVER FALLS I'll be ignoring the ICE book, and vice versa. Aaargh.

How do you choose? Or do you just do what you're supposed to do? Help!

23 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Go with the ice books they are amazing!!!! :)))))

2:54 PM  
Blogger Pirate said...

Hey Anne,

Write a quick out line of one of the books and keep it aside. You don't want to forget why you want to write that book and any details about the plot that have already popped into your mind.

Then complete the other book. The worst would be if you wrote both books at the same time and then they both ended up having similar characters. I really do love your books!!!

I'm sorry if I'm being to bold.
But you did say "Help!"

A Fan
Natalie D.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Ye said...

I am soo gready - I want to read both! My greed for ice books is a bit more urgent though.....

Please tell Mahmoud's story! I have such a soft spot for him.

Hugs,

Blue

10:55 PM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

Incense, meditate a bit, then have a threesome...

3:45 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I snatched up the last copy of Fire and Ice at the local Publix in Marathon (Florida Keys). If someone else had reached for it at the same time, I might have jabbed them with my car keys. From your blog post, it feels like you need to write Finn's Ice book first while Silver Falls continues to percolate.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Anne Stuart said...

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the input.

7:38 PM  
Blogger kariv said...

Ice Ice Baby!

9:40 PM  
Blogger flip said...

Silver Falls sounds great. So does the next Ice book. But when are you going to write the next book about Reno???????? I need more Reno.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

In one of the future ice books i would love to see a strong female as in skills go up against one of the operatives i think it would be cool

12:12 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

ICE. I love ICE!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Helene said...

Hi Anne,
I have been home from work sick for the past week and I've read Reno 3 times straight. Can't believe you made me fall for Reno! More Ice please... lots more!
Helene x

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I can't find a current email address for you so I'll post my WOW comment here instead. Once I started reading Fire and Ice, you couldn't pry that book from my hands with a crow bar. Terrific book, Anne. I'm glad it's doing so well.

I used the "Ice" series as an example for a recent blog post on BabesinBookland.com. It is definitely among my all time favorite, keeper series.

More "Ice" books please!

12:33 PM  
Blogger royallyeffed @gmail.com said...

Write the ICE book. When a book is screaming to come out - listen. And the Silver Falls books will have time to grow and stew and perhaps surprise you even more!!!!

Okay, in fairness I must say I LOVE the Ice books. They have started me glomming every book of yours I can find. Must talk to publisher about re-releases....

6:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Hi Anne,
I commented back in Feb, having just read Blue Ice (the first of your Ice books I got my hands on). I've since hunted down all the others and sent off for Fire and Ice (which I read all in one sitting, lol).
Just wanted to say once again - I LOVE these books!!!
Fantastic job and thankyou for sharing your stories with us...

11:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like Finn wants to be heard. I love all your books, and am so happy you are writing series now. Love the Ice series and think Bastian is my favorite. I love it when you bring in former lead characters into your current book.

11:30 PM  
Blogger USAScotsLass said...

Well, well, well, Anne my dear :-) I know how well you multi-task, so I say, do both, what the heck! I love the "Ice" series, but I think the premise you've got started for this new book is very intriguing and edgy, as always. You never dissapoint! Glad to have found your blog, and I'm just getting ready to crack Fire & Ice!

Patty S.
HV Quilter's List

6:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love your ice books!!!!! how come ice storm isnt up there with the rest of them???

8:38 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Please more ICE books, and please put Reno in there (and Jilly too if she could have a helpful role)! Thank you!

1:38 AM  
Blogger BecauseYouLeft said...

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am that you are planning to continue Mahmoud's story. I didn't even want to ask fearing that the answer would be no. You're amazing and i'm so excited for your future works!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Book lover said...

Please continue with the ICE books - they are the BEST around. The characters are AWESOME. Please dont stop the ICE books - I could only hope it would be endless.

2:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Silver Falls sounds nice and dark and twisty. I just can't resist dark and twisty (with a shot at redemption, of course), which is why I'm such a big fan of yours.

I just finished Fire & Ice and I truly enjoyed it. Thank you for your wonderful stories. It's as though I take a deep breath when I start reading them and I can't let it out until I'm done. Definitely an intense reading experience!

I have to mention that I loved reading all the tidbits about Japan and would love to read about a Japanese character again! Gambate!

2:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment