Notes from a Drama Queen

More Good Times

Monday, August 11, 2008


My darlings -- I'm back from San Francisco, crippled to the max (someone remind me when I have a bad knee, not to bound onstage dancing with joy). I'm hot on the trail of SILVER FALLS, which is due in a horrifying short time, but thanks to the help of Jenny Crusie and Lani Diane Rich I'm very clear on what I'll be doing and I should be able to just charge right ahead.

And here's the delicious news! I'm writing new historicals! I just agreed to a generous two book contract with Mira, writing three (I still had one contracted) delicious historicals with jaded, wicked rakes and stubborn, brave heroines. It's going to be a blast, and I can't wait.

We're living in a rain forest in Northern Vermont this summer, so there's nothing else to do but sit and write (when I'm not watching the Olympics) and I'm feeling like the goddess I am. Psyched about the new books, pleased to death with the RITA, smart and sassy and full of life. My spidey-senses tell me that life is going to be very nice for quite a while, and my spidey-senses are usually right (they knew I'd win the RITA this time around).

I'm almost looking forward to Fall -- it's my favorite time of year, the summer people disappear in droves, the air smells crisp and clean and the leaves turn the most amazing colors (it is Vermont, after all). I'm in a small on-line group where we like to list our appreciation and gratitude for the good things (since it's so easy to get hung up on the bad, the worries, the rain, etc). Right now I'm feeling very grateful indeed, to the universe, to my friends, and to the Girls in the Basement, my muses, who keep delivering me great ideas.

I hope the rest of you are in a similar state of bliss. Here's a suggestion -- at the end of the day, think of three things you're grateful for. Without caveats or limits. Just enjoy.

You can start here. Here are my three:

1. I'm grateful my mother adores her new apartment and her lovely view of the mountains.
2. I'm grateful my visit to the dentist was relatively un-traumatic
3. I'm grateful my niece and her husband came over from England for the weekend and we got to spend time with them sitting by the lake and eating blueberry muffins made with our own blueberries.

So list some of yours. I want to rejoice with your small graces as well as mine.

11 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Aw, darn, historicals? Guess this means you won't be able to rip off any more character from Square-Enix for your heroes, eh?

In fact, please don't. The thought of Cloud Strife in Victorian garb just makes my blood curdle. Reno as a Yakuza mobster with a dimwitted love-interest was bad enough.

Maybe think up an ORIGINAL character this time, hm? I mean, c'mon, it can't be that difficult for a so-called "real author" to do. Just abstain from the anime and Jrock for a few months and you might come up with something that isn't stolen!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I love everything that you write and am happy to congratulate you on the historicals deal with Mira!

I love the idea of an online gratitude and appreciation group. Ten years ago when my dear mother was terminally ill and I was providing her 24/7 care, looking for things to be grateful about, and listing them in a gratitude journal every night, kept me from falling apart.

Today, I am grateful that I woke up to a beautiful view with the harbor looking like a polished mirror and cloud sculptures blushing pink.

I'm grateful that I completed two projects on my "must-do" list at work.

I'm grateful that both of my English Cocker Spaniels love to cuddle. In the words of Snoopy, happiness is a warm puppy. That means I have double happiness tonight.

Thanks for reminding me of this exercise, Krissie. Hug your Rita!

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! More historicals! I've been waiting for you to give us another one ever since The Devil's Waltz! Can you give us a hint about the heroes/heroines/stories? Will they be stand alones or connected?

And I can't wait for Silver Falls, either.

Shoot, I just love anything you put out, Anne!

I'm grateful that I still have a job so I can pay bills and continue to read my favorite authors' books.

I'm grateful that I have friends who are there for me in a pinch when I need them.

And I'm grateful that my parents are still with me.

Keep rockin' Anne and ignore the trolls.

~Geets

9:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Keep rockin' Anne and ignore the trolls.

Yeah! You just ignore those naysayers! Keep on populating your novels with characters stolen from video games (Don't even bother to change the names or anything! No one will notice! How 'bout Vincent Valentine: FBI for your next blockbuster?) and the occasional Japanese rockstar (seriously, Kyo? Miyavi? It might interest you to know that "Miyabi" is a Japanese name but "Miyavi" is something only the rockstar himself uses. It's not a name anyone would give their kid).

I'm not trollin' OR hatin' here, folks. I'm genuinely angry that someone is passing off characters that she did not make up herself as her own, and then collecting the praise (and the PAYCHECK) for doing it. That isn't RIGHT. I'd have no problems with Madame Stuart if she'd just stop writing fanfiction and calling it original.

10:13 PM  
Blogger beth said...

I'm thrilled to hear you went with the "Silver Falls" outline after all. Nothing like a creative, well-written and suspense-driven odyssey to take the edge off my daily routine. (And original. Did I mention original?)

More historicals work too. Heck, you keep writing, and I for one will keep reading 'em.

I'm always grateful for lots of things, but today it's just that the kids got back to school safely and soundly :)

Holla atcha, Ms. Stuart!

12:23 AM  
Blogger flip said...

I am grateful that Anne Stuart is writing three new historicals because I love her historicals.
I love the summer thunderstorms over the weekend.
I love my conversations with my 9 year old daughter.
I am glad that I am playing softball tonight.

7:18 PM  
Blogger Robena Grant said...

That is wonderful. So glad you're writing two historicals. Can't wait.

Today I'm grateful that my 96 year old mother-in-law is in good health and considers me a friend.

That my 84 year old mother likes to give me advice as if I were sixteen.

That my dog loves me and lets me know it numerous times a day.

8:43 PM  
Blogger royallyeffed @gmail.com said...

I'm glad that the wildflower and perennial garden in my yard is SO beautiful: poppies, yarrow, every size of sunflowers! My first flower garden

I'm glad it rained today.

I'm glad that not one but two of my backlist Anne Stuart arrived today: Chasing Trouble and Hidden Honor

12:49 AM  
Blogger royallyeffed @gmail.com said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:50 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Congratulations on your award. Whenever I read your books it is like going on a mini vacation.
Your books are fantastic. You really know how to write.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Christine Wells said...

Anne, I read on Publisher's Lunch about your deal with MIRA. Woohoo!! I've been waiting for another historical from you ever since I glommed your backlist in about a week. (Sorry, I know I should have savored.)

Love the suspense novels, too, but I'm really hanging out for those historicals!

2:44 AM  

Post a Comment