Notes from a Drama Queen

Oh ... My ... God

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I realize I've been wretched about posting, but I hate to natter on without a good reason. Now I've got a reason.

I just realized I have to write at least 335 pages between now and March 15. That's an average of twenty pages a day. Then, when I'm finished that I have to write a proposal and a ten thousand word novelette by March 31. And then I have to write a 75k book by June 1st or DIE.

Was I out of my mind when I agreed to this? It all seemed do-able. I'm in a white hot blaze to write -- I'd love an ivory tower with room service and occasional husband delivery when I'm feeling randy.

But unfortunately life gets in the way. Nevertheless, some things are really not negotiable.

I've just revised the first 165 pages of the historical. Tomorrow, if I'm really really lucky, I could push it to two hundred, half done, and I'd feel more like the Superwoman that I am.

Unfortunately my elderly MIL just died and we're having a family dinner (pray God I don't have to cook) tomorrow night, so all this work has to be done in the day and after we get home. So maybe I can't do it.

But I sure as hell can do my 20 pages.

I'll be giving updates. Maybe come up with punishments and rewards. Punishment if I don't make my 20 pages (like no internet for the day). I have to watch food rewards -- therein lies disaster.

Anyone have any good ideas? Maybe fine myself for off days and then use the money for treats?

But how would that work? If I work I wouldn't have any rewards, so it would encourage me not to work.

I'm so confused.

Who has some suggestions? Maybe I can sew for half an hour if I do my 20 pages? That would be good. And I could put a $5 in a bowl every day I do my work and accrue treat money that way.

Aaaargh.

OK, my engines are idling, ready for the first charge.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Danielle said...

Positive reinforcement is always best. Write some, reward yourself by doing something fun. I do that when I have a task that I'm not looking forward to do.

I have to say I am so happy you're doing another historical.

Danielle
A fan for over twenty years!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

I'm all for positive reinforcement, particularly plus positive as opposed to minus positive. (Ack, terms from dog training class are leaking into my brain.)

So, I think money in the jar for every day of writing. PLUS, every day that you don't make your 20 pages, is a day added to the length of time before your next visit to Jenny and Lani.

However, the fine is only assessed if not making 20 pages is through your own fault or negligent behavior -- like you decided to watch back to back Buffy episodes instead of writing. It isn't good to fine yourself if something happens that you can't avoid, such as the death of a family member, etc.

Good luck! Write like the wind!

10:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sometimes things comes in the way of writing. I know that things have interrupted my writing. I say award yourself if you write 20 pages a day and award yourself if you don't write 20 pages a day. Embrace the moment- the challenge. If you want a piece of chocolate candy on the day that you have only written 5 pages or no pages at all, have that piece of chocolate candy.

Keep walking; keep writing. But always walk and write at the speed that you are capable of doing.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Rueyn. said...

For every goal you make, give yourself a "No." That means every day you write 20 pages, you give yourself permission to say "no" to one thing you usually feel pressure to do, whether it's cooking that big family meal, hosting a party, et cetera. It's a positive reward, plus it cuts down on non-writing chores, which gives you more time to complete what you need to complete.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Anne Stuart said...

Great advice, all. 18 pages this morning(hey, that's almost twenty!). I have to find an appropriate money jar to work with.

I'll report in tonight with the final total.

12:54 PM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

You're a goddess - I have faith! And yes, positive reinforcement good!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Carla Swafford said...

Oh, my. You've got guts, girl! For sure reward yourself with what you love doing but rarely find the time. You certainly deserve it.

Hugs from sledgehammer girl. :-)

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment