Notes from a Drama Queen

TIRED

Wednesday, June 17, 2009


It's been a hell of a week, which is why my blog is going up late. Jenny-my-niece (as opposed to Jenny Crusie) has flown back here from Lake Tahoe and we're trying to haul out my sister's house. At this point it's so packed full of crap that an assessor would be risking his life coming in there. So we've been spending days, and we've only just made a dent in the place.
My sister loved to shop, she was a packrat, and she loved things. So the place is full of them. I found the first dress I ever made -- I fell in love with some fabric when I was about fifteen, bought it and made it by hand. We aren't going to talk about how long ago that was.
I found the Sumo t-shirt I wore to the awards ceremony for RWA in Hawaii (along with a coconut bra and a grass skirt). So many of my clothes I'm not beginning to count (my sister also had a bad habit of taking whatever she wanted when no one was looking). We've got a dumpster the size of a railroad car and trust me, we'll fill it. The stuff on the left of the photo are potato aliens . The good thing is we've found nothing worse than a massive amount of mice droppings (oh, and Jenny found a full mouse skeleton in the eaves). Eventually we'll get things hauled out and organized and have the mother of a yard sale (probably more of an estate sale).
Then this morning my son freaked out and found he was due at his new job this morning, so off I went to find him the water sandals he needed, the underwear, and spend hours at the department of motor vehicles to get his license for him.
Right no
w I'm so crippled up I can hardly move. I get like this, and oddly enough it's never in service to myself. I'm hard-wired to help other people, particularly family. It's not necessarily healthy for me, definitely not healthy physically and probably not healthy pyschically, but it is what it is.
But now I can rest. This is me earlier in the week, after I got so tired I had to make Jenny-my-niece drive. I fell asleep and they dressed me in fairy princess finery that Jenny Crusie and Lani Diane Rich sent to me (I do tend to sleep soundly).
God knows what they'll put on me next week.

6 Comments:

Blogger writerheart said...

I think we may be related. This is how my mom's house looked when we moved her to a nursing home.

I didn't see why you were having to do this cleaning out. I hope it's not because your sister died?

11:35 PM  
Blogger Anne Stuart said...

Yes, it's because my sister died and left only my niece to do all this. She's doing the bulk of the work, but then, she's twenty years younger. Yawn.

8:54 AM  
Blogger writerheart said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I had to try to clear out my mother's things after she went into the nursing home. Even though she was still alive, picking up some things still made it feel like a loss. I knew she wasn't coming back to the house.

I am truly sorry to hear your news. Please take good care of yourself.

By the way, at some point we just had to hire someone to do the final clearing out after we got the good things out. It became too much physically...

2:15 PM  
Blogger inkgrrl said...

So sorry about your sister babe. Not that it helps, but you look fabulous in sparkly pink snooze mode ;-)

4:32 PM  
Blogger Reb said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Reb said...

So sorry to hear about your sister, Sister Krissie. I agree with inkgirl, you look fabulous in pink. But where's the boa??? ;)

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment