Notes from a Drama Queen

Cleaning House

Monday, January 19, 2009

So is everyone feeling as energized as I am? Everywhere I turn good things are happening -- the miracle on the Hudson, the miracle in Washington. Hope is all around, and I'm ready to jump in, feet first.
The world seems like a wonderful place, and I don't have to go anywhere to take advantage of it.
But first things first -- time to declutter. I wanted to upload a photo of my horrendously messy office but things are so messy I can't find my card reader or the cable that goes from the camera to the computer. So I'll start work and add a picture later (if blogger will let me). I'll simply have to describe it. Going clockwise, I have the dog crate, with a banker's box and a pink milk crate on top. Next to that a desktop area filled with jewelry making stuff, which I love, but it's prime real estate and I don't play with jewelry that often. So that's going to have to find a place to go. Underneath this six foot area I have tubs filled with jewelry-making supplies and little plastic boxes with findings and such separated out. Next to that I have two tubs full of unknown office supplies. In front of that, another tub, a pile of CDs (Best of L'arc-en-Ciel, Bruce Springsteen in Dublin etc.). On top there are a couple of books and a fancy box. moving closer, I have three bankers boxes piled on top of the other, one with a bunch of books I have to send to my agent, and god knows what are in the two beneath it. Then two down comforters, a grabber thingy, an overflowing waste basket, and my little rolling chest from Ikea. On top of that is software two engagement calendars from last year, an Amazon gift certificate, a plug for my back up hard drive and a plastic bag with two connectors for network cables (we're wireless).
Then a lamp with a musician's drink holder attached to it (very handy when you're mainlining Diet Coke) and my big red recliner with me in it. Behind it is a door hanging of the Great Wave of Kanagawa (I think that's the official title) by Hokusai, then on the other side is a keyboard I bought so I could learn piano on the Mac and play with Garage Band. Then a pile of boxes in the corner (five of them -- the lower ones are getting crushed) with God knows what inside, nexxt to a plastic mini chest of drawers with 12 drawers filled with things like mini-discs (and nothing to play 'em on) and audio tapes and old cell phones etc. A tiny table next to that with the squid (holds all sorts of plugs) and a copy of 45 MASTER CHARACTERS. On the worktop there are three pairs of large headphones (and three pairs of iPod headphones for my sister on the pull out keyboard), a light that plugs into my laptop, a horse and warrior from ancient Japan that I got at the MMA, a bunch of scattered CDs, tons of paper, two revolving pen holders, three mugs full of pens, a printer that works but isn't connected to the laptop, where I usually work, a laser printer that doesn't work, a bag of old potpourri that's lost it's scent, the audio tapes of THE CREATIVE FIRE by Clarissa Pinkola Estes (much recommended), a box of tissues, some paper clips and a couple of contracts that need to be signed. On the wall behind it are photos from Terminator, Notorious, Maya Angelous, Gackt, and the others are hidden behind the crap.
Underneath the desktop is another tub. Next to that is a file cabinet and in front of that, higher than the file cabinet, is a tub with books on top, six plastic Christmas plates, a basket with my daughter's iCat, another basket on the floor in front of that.
We come to the door. My new Gackt calendar is up (gotta kiss the Gackt calendar everyday before I work), a bird house in the shape of a castle, my bag full of swimming gear, a half filled trash bag, a paper bag of unwanted books, the baby refrigerator with my altar on top and a Christmas tree on top of that. Then we get to the dog crate again. Oh, and I missed a purple milk crate, a sagging wicker basked, two banker's boxes and a small plastic container with rubber stamps.

Phew!

So I've written eight pages. Now I have to learn to be brutal with all these boxes of disorganized crap. I think I'll start with the jewelry first. Find a tub that's not being used (and we probably have 100 ones in use in my cluttered household) and pack the jewelry stuff away carefully. When we set up my sewing space in the basement we can put aside a section for jewelry. In the meantime I have books to write.

That's my task for today. I think, to keep thinks under control, I'll just do two containers a day. But what do I do with all the crap in the containers?

Aiyee!!!!

Anyone got any advice for attacking the Augean Stables? Besides a pitchfork and a dungheap?

3 Comments:

Blogger flip said...

I am the queen of clutter. but honestly, I cleared off my desk last week. I hated junky drawers...my husband's method of cleaning. when I clean I find a place for everything or else it goes.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

I loved reading this!

As for clutter (and having four kids), this is what I do:

Set a timer for 15 minutes and work. In 15 minutes, I can organize the bookshelf and clear off the top of my dresser. I can do a load of dishes, a load of laundry, etc. I stop when the 15 minute timer goes off, then set it again to REST for 15 minutes, then go back to working for 15 minutes. Back and forth like that.

And I absolutely live by the saying: If you don't love it, if you don't use it, get rid of it.

You'd be surprised how many "THINGS" don't fit in the I LOVE IT category *or* the I NEED IT category. If it fits neither, why keep it around?

I can't wait to see the posted photo!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

My suggestion: Go back and read Jenny's archives where she described decluttering her office in 15 minutes a day!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment