Notes from a Drama Queen

Home again

Monday, February 16, 2009

The life of the New York Times Bestseller (yes, we hit #29!) returns to normal. The mini-book tour is at an end, the Goddess Reunion is over (we spent our last night rolling on the floor over Big Trouble (the Dave Barry movie) and Tropic Thunder (we have no class but damn, it was brilliant).
We took off the next day after a delicious breakfast, I had a belated Valentine's Day dinner with my beloved Richie, and now I'm home, ready to ...
Sandwich generation again. But enough of whining. Here's what I learned:

FAMILY is what you make it. Sometimes family turns out to be a couple of fellow writers you're so attuned with that everything feels right when you're around them.
GLITTERING PRIZES come and go. Making the NYT extended is lovely, lovely, lovely. But what matters more is that the book works.
ANIMALS RULE. Jenny has three fabulous long-haired dachshunds -- Wolfie, Veronica and divine Milton. I have three fabulous cats -- Cello, Pooska and Phantom. They cuddle. They curl up on your chest. They bring the blood pressure down and give you a warm feeling in your heart.
BOOK TOURS are exhausting. You'd think "what's the big deal?" but really, they wear you out. Nothing is nicer than having a long line of people wanting us to sign books, but in the end you're wiped out and ready to make an absolute pig of yourself at Steak N Shake and then you have to sit up all night in a chair so you don't get a killer case of heartburn and ... but I digress. They're exhausting, but part of the job, and it's fabulous to meet readers. Plus there's the aforementioned Steak N Shake, which is divine in moderation.
AIR TRAVEL sucks. 'Nuff said.
And I'd do it all over again at the drop of a hat.
If you could choose your family, who would you pick? I'd pick Lani and Jenny and Richie and Lani's children, and I'd pick Vermont. They'd pick me but they'd pick Cincinati. To understand the absurdity of that choice, check this out:



Tell me about your chosen family.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mary Stella said...

I choose my brother and sister-in-law and my nephews. Okay, that's not a choice since we're blood, but I'd still choose them. I have a phenomenal family of close friends -- sisterfriends is how I think of them.

I'd choose my work family again. What we share as an organization is rare indeed.

My dogs, Nat and Pyxi, are family, obviously.

The list goes on. Good thing I'm half-Italian. Big families are typical.

10:50 PM  
Blogger McB said...

My chosen family are the CBs, who, btw, think the goddesses totally rock. Thanks so much for your part in this fun, fun, fun new book. The world needs fun these days. And thanks for smiling and being funny and witty when the whack swarmed Books & Co.

And, thanks so much for signing my copy of One More Valentine. I love your new books, but I have a soft spot for this one. It remains one the comfort reads that get me through tough times.

10:25 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

oh my gosh. is it weird that that cincinatti song randomly was in my head the other day? (i've never been to ohio.) Oh, babes in toyland. good, cheesy times.

2:39 AM  

Post a Comment