Notes from a Drama Queen

The Trip Winds Down

Monday, April 13, 2009

We're in the Kabuki Hotel in Japantown, winding down our trip. We can see our daughter's apartment building from our balcony, yesterday the Cherry Blossom Festival was in full swing, and for breakfast this morning we had fresh California strawberries and pastries from one of the many bakeries nearby. Yum!
While I'm here I'm going to use the deep Japanese bathtub (you sit on a little stool and scrub yourself before you climb in the tub, as anyone who's read ICE BLUE would know, then wallow in the warmth.) There's a gorgeous chaise in our room that I can stretch out on and write, and we've got one more night here before we fly back to the Land of Snow. In the meantime we're going to enjoy our last full day to the fullest, quite possibly by doing nothing at all.

One thing I re-discovered -- driving is the best possible thing for the imagination. There's something about the hum of the tires, the rumble of the motor, the scenery flashing by, that put me into a kind of altered consciousness where the ideas pour down like a waterfall in spring. I've got so many ideas fighting for my attention that I'd like nothing more than to immure myself in my office when I get home and write write write.

What I Have Learned From Trip:

1. I adore my husband of almost 35 years. Always have, always will. He's gorgeous, funny, easy-going, a great driver, a wonderful companion, and he adores me. What more can you ask?
2. I don't want to live in Ashland, Medford, Klamath Lake, Davis, Fort Bragg.
I don't think I want to live in Mendocino, Bandon, Sebastopol, or (gasp) Lake Tahoe. I think when we find out where we want to relocate to, we'll know it. I could be happy in most of those places. But I didn't have that magical "ping" I think I'll feel when we find the place we'll move to. So for now, back to Vermont.
3. And as for Vermont, HURRAY!!!!. Proud of my state. It many ways, most ways, it's the best state in the country. But it has an endless winter, a crippplingly high tax rate (one of the highest in the nation), and everything is hours away. After 38 years it's time to find more sun.
4. People are friendly everywhere.
5. There's no place like home. I'm really looking forward to getting back, where I can write, and quilt, and enjoy the slow end of winter. Wherever it is, there's no place like home (we can all click our red heels together now).

I'll post more pictures when I can make Blogger work better. But in the meantime, here's the video of the day:

1 Comments:

Blogger Linda T. said...

Sr. Krissie, it was weird but so nice to meet you and your husband at Japantown in San Francisco on April 13. What an incredibly tiny world we all live in, no? And it sounds like having your daughter studying in S.F. might bring you out this way again. I hope we run into each other again. I also wanted to tell you that my favorite book of yours is "Banish Misfortune." I've re-read it many times. I have all of your books, even the obscure ones from long ago, and I treasure them. Take care. All the best, Linda T.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment