Notes from a Drama Queen

Video games and rewards

Saturday, February 17, 2007

My darlings! So okay, I was too busy writing to blog. But the book is ... amazing. Unless I'm in a complete state of delusionary denial, ICE STORM is good enough to cure cancer. Maybe not bring world peace, but damn, I got it right this time!
Of course two weeks from now I could always get a long revision letter and sober doubts from my editor, but until then I'm celebrating!

I decided I deserved a treat. The next book (unless I suddenly have an attack of being rational) is about a Yakuza punkster named Reno, who took his name from a video game.
So I figured I oughta know about video games, right?
$100 and one day later I am the proud owner of a used PS2. (I'd already bought one for my son when they first came out, but it was stolen, and then one for my daughter, who wouldn't let me anywhere near hers and has now taken it with her to Philadelphia, so it was time for Mom).

Fortunately there were a few games left behind. I'd bought Bujingai (because as everyone who would care, knows, I adore Gackt) and Kate had left it behind, plus a Jet Li game, an early DDR game and a cheap mat, Grand Theft Auto (yuck!), and Off Road ATV #1 and 2 (also yuck).

I've been wary of the controllers, since they had more buttons than I was used to (I used to play Zelda and Mario on Super Nintendo) but it's actually not that hard. I popped in Bujingai and the memory card and started playing, then let out a scream that brought my husband running from in from the kitchen. The damned controller buzzes! Scared the hell out of me the first time, but I'm getting used to it.

And I managed to kill a lot of robot aliens and unlock the first door! Such triumph! I figure watching Gackt twirl and fly is bound to be inspiring. Haven't tried the Jet Li game yet -- I imagine it's a fighting game, and I'm more interested in RPGs (role playing games). Then again, if it's Jet Li it'll still be pretty eye-candy.

I went to Amazon and bought Kingdom Hearts (Disney and Final Fantasy ... what more can you ask?) and Final Fantasy X, since Kate says it's got a fairly linear plot. Plus cheat codes, because you know, when you're my age you need all the help you can get. And I get to enter all these glorious worlds, further destroying the hands that typing and quilting have already ruined.

Ah, but what a way to go!

Next step, hooking up the DDR mat. Picture this, a slightly lumbering 58 year old woman trying the simplest of moves. But it's good aerobics, and I intend to get to the point where I go to Disney World and everyone in the arcade stops and watches in total awe. Or horror. I'm easy either way.

Now I could have been sensible and just bought computer games, but as far as I know you can't do DDR with a computer (oh, I forgot, she left Karaoke Revolution behind too, and somewhere I have the microphone!).

A crazy world of fun is opening for me -- and get this, it's all tax deductible! I intend to slay dragons, conquer new worlds, buy potions, fight with fallen angels with long white hair to their sexy little butts.

Damn -- wouldn't it be fun to turn the ICE books into a video game?

So, here are a couple of questions.

First, I want suggestions for PS2 games for me. Ones that are full of fantasy and beautiful androgynous men, ones that aren't impossible for an aging hipster to play.

And second, I want to know the craziest thing any of you have ever done and still managed to justify it.

Talk to me, people!

14 Comments:

Blogger J is for Juliet said...

actually, strong woman and all the men are baddies.... Tomb Raider. Just forget about the Angelina Jolie parts!

12:24 PM  
Blogger J is for Juliet said...

and Alpine racer... skiing without the cold..... and some of them are actually kind of cute!

12:25 PM  
Blogger Megan Frampton said...

I am lacking any kind of video game gene at all, although my seven year-old is hooked. And I love the idea of Reno, you and I talked about the beauty of Takeshi Kaneshiro last National, although I think that's the model for the hero for your next book, not this one?

Anyhoo, the craziest thing I've ever done would be dye my hair purple because my haircutter was having a sale on color, and I cannot resist a bargain.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Debbie B. said...

My son plays something call Runescape on the computer. At 52 I will keep to rideing horses - hunters. I find computer games frustating because, I can never win. By the way, bought Ice Blue yesterday and finished this morning. Loved it like I loved the others. Your books are keepers!

2:27 PM  
Blogger Pia said...

My favorite game is Tekken (any version)! My husband can play Onimusha for hours. I also enjoy playing Grand Tourisimo 4.
Although we have grown attached to our PS2, hubby and I decided to upgrade and got an Xbox 360, the graphic are great.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Mary Stella said...

Ice Blue rocks, Anne. Can't wait for the next book in the series!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

I second bexelliot - the Metal Gear Solid series is fascinating. The only real prettiness is in the second game, which unfortunately makes no sense without the first, but I challenge any woman (or man) to listen to Snake's voice for more than five minutes without falling utterly in love with him. And the third will make you cry, I promise. Very plotty, twists all over the place, and fantastic melodramatic dialogue and ambiguous relationships. Only real turnoff is that the games are very slow-paced, particularly the second, as they have cutscenes all over the place.

Still, I promise if you liked FF7 you'll like MGS1, at least, and most likely be enthralled by Raiden's segment in MGS2.

10:35 AM  
Blogger flip said...

The next book had better be about Reno....I loved the character of Reno in Ice Blue. Ice Blue was terrific..I especially loved the secondary characters. I really think that you are going to have to write about Reno next...and then you need to write Isabella's story

3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

well, i have no PS2, however online gaming is cool too. WOW is awesome you should check it out. then of course Diablo is an oldie but goodie. Can't hardly wait for your next book. Love the ICE series. you rock as always

10:41 PM  
Blogger kathi h said...

i love Msy and all its sequels. i like the artwork and puzzles.

most outrageous thing I have ever done? Dance naked in a snowstorm in my front ysrd. it was midnight , the roads were slippery so very little traffic, and i wanted to feel my inner goddess.

ps i am the crazy lady in Reno who had lunch with you, knelt at your feet and ran to get my camera only to discover i had left it in the club while I was dancing the night before.

One day i will have a picture of the two of us.

Still have every single one of your books.

kathi

7:20 PM  
Blogger kathi h said...

that should be Myst not msy....

7:21 PM  
Blogger sayoko said...

Dear Anne,
I was wondering why, in the internet era, some of the "Japanese" names you used in "Ice Blue" are actually fake.

Komoru is not a Japanese surname, and Santoru is a Sardinian surname. Was it intentional?^_^

8:07 AM  
Blogger Kifah said...

Anne, it's so totally cool that you have discovered both Advent Children and Playstation!

I would suggest Dirge of Cerberus for sure! I learned to game by playing Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2. So by the time I picked up Dirge I had some skills. Dirge is an RPG shooter...with Vincent Valentine as the title character. And it's a direct sequel to FFVII: AC. Lots of pretty men and cool action.

11:13 PM  
Blogger kifah said...

Ok, I know this is an older post, but this has been eating at me. And I'm a bit of a freak for all things Japanese.

Names: Santoru Iwata, President of Nintendo.....
Komoru Kubo....spokesman for the Japanese Whaling Society. Oh, Komoru is also a Pokemon:)

8:49 PM  

Post a Comment