Notes from a Drama Queen

Social Time

Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Most of my life is pretty isolated. I live in a tiny town of five hundred people,and all our friends have either moved away or gone in a new direction, basically shutting us out. I used to be very social, inviting people over for dinner, enjoying company, but as my house started resembling something on reality tv (Clean House, anyone?)I started to find entertaining to be more trouble than it was worth. And my darling Richie is shy, so he's only comfortable going out to the houses of people he knows well, and the people he knows well are gone. So we have each other for company most of the time until extended family arrives in the summer. Fortunately we still adore each other, but it can get a little isolated.
But I drove down to Princeton, the town where I grew up, with my niece. We're staying at my former BIL's wonderful old house (we have very convivial divorces in my family) and they're social. When we arrived a federal judge and his wife were going to be staying here, and I had a knee jerk reaction, thinking I just want to go to my room and write.
But they were darling! He was an absolute charmer, despite the fact that he testified in favor of Clarence Thomas when he was nominated to the Supreme Court, and she was lovely, giving me a hug when they retired for the night. They held hands when we sat at the table and talked, and I adored them.
The second night friends of my BIL and his wife were having a Vietnamese barbecue for Memorial Day (the friends host graduate students at Princeton). And I hemmed and hawed and said I should stay and write, and they said "Oh please" and I said "Okay" because I'm easy and it was wonderful. Sheila and Jerry were easygoing, fabulous hosts, and the students were great. I learned the Vietnamese concept of "rubber time," meaning that timing is elastic. If dinner is supposed to be at seven it could be anywhere from five to nine and more (dinner ended up at about half past nine). Rubber time sounds like my deadlines.
So I was reminded that going out and meeting strangers is really a lovely thing to do. Despite the insularity of my tiny town in Vermont, the world is full of fascinating people. I need to learn to enjoy it more.

3 Comments:

Blogger Carla Swafford said...

Sounds wonderful. Hugs.

9:16 PM  
Blogger lora96 said...

This makes me feel slightly better about my, "Nah, let's just stay in" attitude--and I'm the more gregarious one in this relationship. :)

1:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

TPI Network presents... Billy Collins.

Poets in the know likely revere Billy Collins and this one held in high

esteem by many has recently offered up some candid advice to his colleagues.

"Adapt your prose to a novella and get compensated because knowing how to

elicit grandiose words won't fill your gas..."

You can read the full account at Buy books @ TPI Network:
http://www.tpinetwork.com/buybooks@tpinetwork.htm

Attention portending candidate.

If your image is worth a few pennies a day, we invite you to network with us

over the course of a month for less than what some people on lunch.

This is an opportunity to list your title within the region where Billy's

words of wisdom appear from and additionally receive this same placement over

the course of 24 hours which is channeled throughout the industry as in the

current on display example featuring Billy Collins.

Then thereafter, your profile will appear from within 'About Authors', a

section at TPI Network devoted to such contemporary writers as:

Vera Jane Cook... http://www.tpinetwork.com/menuverajanecook.html


Additionally your About Authors profile will be made accessible via our
TPI Network homepage. http://www.tpinetwork.com/

The advantages are obvious.

A special listing at TPI Network http://tpinetwork.com/ guarantees both your

offered up title and as well your bio will be highlighted in the midst of a

friendly user environment that sets the online standard for the at large

publishing community.

So get underway and engage the process that generates continual author

publicity alongside sales which is at the heart of successful book marketing

by going to the following url... http://www.tpinetwork.com/buybookslink.htm

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment